Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welcome to Our Town!

Hello everyone, My name is Jim Gordon and I have been a resident of Troy my entire life. I am honored to have been asked to contribute to the Troy Records community of online blogs. I look forward to providing thought provoking commentary and having insightful conversations with everyone that calls Troy home. I will ask that you do contribute in a respectful manner. There are too many online communities that are improperly used.

I became involved in our community when my wife Melissa and I purchased our home in Lansingburgh. I firmly believe that it is everyone's responsibility to do their part in improving our communities and neighborhoods. With Chris Lambertsen, Darlene Simpson, and Lenny Kluz, I helped form the North Lansingburgh Neighborhood Watch. As a group we have been very successful in doing our part in addressing quality-of-life issues. On a daily basis I receive communication from our membership, that has grown to nearly 200 people. Issues that relate to code enforcement, city DPW, policing/crime, and abandoned/vacant buildings to name a few. Our group doesn't stop there. We have a large presence in the community by organizing different initiatives such as the Earth Day clean up in sections of Lansingburgh, we volunteer at the annual Easter Egg Hunt and Powers Park for the concert series, each holiday season we partner with Whitney Young to hold a toy drive, we apply for and have received grants to perform community beatification and improvement projects. I invite you to visit the Neighborhood Groups Facebook Page for more information click here

This is what it is all about. Giving back to and nurturing our communities. It is with this in mind that I will use this forum to discuss activities and events from South Troy, north to Lansingburgh. So sit back and enjoy Our Town...

No comments:

Post a Comment